We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves. 2 Corinthians 4:7

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Good Dog!

My therapist is in India right now; he’ll be gone for three weeks, coaching missionary couples on how to strengthen their marriages.  He’s got a blog going if you’re interested:  www.marriagecoachingonthemove.blogspot.com.  As a consolation prize while he’s gone, I’ve got his dog, who also has a blog:  www.harleydogonthemove.blogspot.com.  This may come as a surprise to you, but…*spoiler alert*…Harley doesn’t actually write his own blogs.  You see, he has no opposable thumbs, so I help him out.  The events are all real events, though.

Pretending to be a dog has its benefits.  I’ve started to think that living a dog’s life may be a fairly sweet way to live.  You know, “Hakuna Matataand all that.  Food is easily prepared, easily stored, and obviously relished.  No toilets ever need cleaning.  If you want a little affection, you just shove your way through to your favorite person and whine.  And when you’re tired, you just plop right down and sleep wherever you are.

Of course, this is the scenario for a dog with a good master.  I am reminded that our dogs were rescued from less-than-ideal circumstances where food had to be fought for, where they were kept in a box with their own feces, and sleep could be disrupted at any moment by strangers who may or may not wish them well.  Affection was sporadic, if given at all, and there was no favorite person to turn to.

Our dogs may think they are mal-treated every now and then.  The Hairbrush of Doom makes Cocoa tremble with fear, and the Vacuum Sweeper of Death sends Smokey scurrying under the table.  They can’t understand that these unpleasant things are for their health and happiness; that sometimes unpleasant things occur so that good things can happen.  In a fallen world, that’s how a good master cares for you.

 It reminds me of the verse that Chris taught the kids when they were little:
“You fathers—if your children ask for a fish, do you give them a snake instead?  Or if they ask for an egg, do you give them a scorpion?  Of course not!  So if you sinful people know  how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him”  Luke 11:11-13

So for those of us who feel like we are waiting for those “good gifts”, and maybe even feel somewhat mal-treated, it is a timely reminder that each day is filled with gifts.  When was the last time I was pleasantly surprised at all the food in my pantry, or do I take it for granted?  How about a warm shower or a sunny day?  Are we spoiled children who are only appreciative when the gift is sufficiently large enough to thrill us?  Or when the gift is what we asked for?  Father, open my eyes to see the gifts all around me.  Show me the goodness in the midst of the trial and the waiting.  Direct my attention to Your love and care and away from any temporary discomfort or distress I may be feeling.  Remind me of your great love for me.  As the well-cared-for dog has no worries and trusts his master whole-heartedly, give me faith in abundance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment