We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves. 2 Corinthians 4:7

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Reflections on the 4th


Sitting in chairs borrowed from my brother-in-law, I hold my husband’s hand like high school sweethearts.  On my other side, my son sits, not yet a man, but wielding the title with aplomb, graciously accepting the teasing of those behind us because he is, after all, the tallest man there, and is perhaps, blocking the view of the fireworks.

I rest my head against Chris’s shoulder, watching the children in front of us, giddy with excitement, still dripping with pool water, dancing on the sidewalk, sitting on towels, hair dripping in pool-created dreadlocks.  Still in their swimsuits, electric with excitement, they “ooh” and “ahh” with every firework that blossoms in the sky.  I hear my sister giggle and realize she is sitting amongst the children, next to my daughter, the girl-who-is-not-yet-woman. 

We look to the sky, watching the planned explosions, the beautiful colors and designs.  I hear Bruce Springsteen’s “Born in the USA” float through the air while fireflies create bursts of glory, praising their Maker.


Immense power and beauty elicited from purposeful destruction; the disastrous un-making that is necessary for the re-construction that creates something wonderful and amazing out of something ordinary and ugly.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment