We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves. 2 Corinthians 4:7

Monday, January 9, 2012

looking for a job


“But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and he will stand upon the earth at last.  And after my body has decayed, yet in my body I will see God!”

Do you know who said this? 

I came across this verse this week as I was reading my Bible.  I’m not one to make New Year’s resolutions, but I happened to make a commitment that coincided with the New Year to read through the Bible in a year.  And of course, there’s an app for that…so I signed up to read the Bible chronologically.

After reading a few chapters in Genesis, the app sent me off to Job, where I discovered this little gem of a verse.  Not that I haven’t been aware of that quote; I sing songs related to it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Pw0Gyc9d0) .  But somehow I have missed or forgotten that Job said it.  

And what does he mean?  He talks of needing a mediator, an intercessor to speak on his behalf before God.  He despairs of appearing before the Almighty.  He talks of God persecuting him.  And then…he says these amazing words!

Redeemer—in the Old Testament Hebrew, the word ga’al means “nearest relative who is charged with the duty of restoring the rights of another and avenging his wrongs.”  It makes me wonder how much of God’s plan was understood by Job.  He clearly understood the need for sacrifices to atone for sins.  He struggled with the religious view that “good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people.”  He questioned God, liked the greatest of men (See Matt. 11:1-11).  But in the midst of all his pain and suffering, the likes of which most of us will never experience, he found solace in his Redeemer.  The Redeemer that was yet to come.  Not for a REALLY LONG time.

Living in a fast-food culture, we come to expect results immediately.  Sixteen months of therapy seems like forever.  Shoot, I’m currently waiting sixteen hours for an antibiotic because of some mix-up at the pharmacy, and I’m disturbed about that.  I want to be well NOW, both mentally and physically.  Hurry, hurry, hurry.

But I have been sidelined, exhausted, spending my days in bed.  I’ve been listening to podcasts of sermons to occupy my mind.  Ironically, I downloaded a series of sermons from NewSpring Church (http://newspring.cc/watchandlisten/) about the life of Job.  Job has surrounded me.  But in a new way.  Not in a he-suffered-so-you-should-suck-it-up way.  But in a God-is-there-and-nothing-happens-without-His-permission sort of way.  Interesting to remember that when evil occurs, it happens because Satan had to ask God for permission to do it first.  So God is indeed culpable for evil in his permissiveness.  But in His omniscience, He also can see the Good that can come out of evil IF we submit to His will.

Ahh, submission.  Back to this rebellious heart of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment